In a nutshell, the programme will enhance the teachers understanding of learners, the learning process, the nature and structure of language, and the teaching of it in terms of new and more effective methodologies of classroom management, material selection and evaluation. This programme will help the teacher to:
- Gain insights about the language learner, not only as cognitive entity, but as a social being, functioning in a multilingual environment.
- Understand the nature of language as a dynamic entity, subject to variation and change.
- Enhance her/his proficiency in English, not only in terms of the structure of English (sounds, words, grammar) but also at the level of discourse.
- Critically reflect over her/his classroom experience and innovate in teaching strategies, so that s/he may be able to more effectively teach the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Upgrade herself/himself in the new theories that are prevalent in terms of the learner, the learning process, classroom management, material selection and creating,
- Conduct action research.
The evaluation consists of two parts:1) continuous evaluation through assignments, and 2) term-end examination. In the final result all the assignments of a course carry 30% weightage while 70% weightage is given to term-end examination. You will have to compete four assignments for this programme, One for each course.
You are required to score at least 30% marks in both continuous evaluation(assignments) as well as term-end examinations separately. In the overall computation also you must get at least 35% marks in each course to claim the Certificate Programme in the Teaching of English
Assignments constitute the continuous evaluation system. The submission of assignments is compulsory. Assignments of a course carry 30% weightage while 70% weightage is given to o the term-end examinations.
You will not be allowed to appear for the term-end examination for a course if you do not submit the specified number of assignments on time .i.e. for the December term-end examination the last date of submission is 30th September and for the June term-end examination, the last date of submission is 31st March.